Indian Queen Basmati Rice by Bhara Industrial Enterprises Limited
Indian Queen Basmati Rice by Bhara Industrial Enterprises Limited

The Japanese government is seeking legislative changes to promote rice breeding by the private sector as part of efforts to advance agricultural reform. Under this law, the public sector dominates rice breeding, develops its own breeding facilities, recommend promising varieties and in turn receive taxpayer funding. With the ordinary diet session to open soon, the agriculture ministry will submit a motion to jettison a 65-year-old law on seeds for key farm products.

Newly developed rice varieties often take around a decade to reach the planting stage. And costs run to tens of millions of yen, or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Prefecture-developed rice accounts for roughly 90 percent of the 444 recommended varieties, with the other 10 percent or so developed with backing from the central government. No private-sector rice is on the list. Japan is set to abolish in 2018 a decades-old government-led program for adjusting rice production. In line with this change, the government seeks to tap the vitality of the private sector to improve breeding as well.

LEAVE A REPLY